Sunday, September 25, 2011

Food Trip Weekends: Va Bene Pasta Deli

Since moving to Tarlac, most of my weekends in Manila are spent trying out new restaurants with my family.  Anyone who knows me also knows that I have a voracious appetite.  I LOVE eating!!! In Filipino, matakaw ako...sobra. I would read food blogs and note down restaurant recommendations from my friends, prepare a tummy friendly outfit and excitedly wait for the weekend to arrive.  It took us a while to visit Va Bene because my to-try list of restaurants is fairly long.  But we finally went last Saturday and I'm happy we did. 

Va Bene's simple menu



Va Bene's simple interior

Va Bene's simple freebee appetizer 

And Va Bene's simply delicious food!
 Polipo salad


Let me start  by saying that everything we ate was delicious.  The compliment bread with tomato dip was fresh and light on the tummy.  It definitely tickled my appetite and left me wanting for more!  My mom, sister and I shared a salad of "Polipo", braised octopus with arugula leaves (P400).  There are not a lot of octopus dishes in Manila and we were intrigued enough to order it.  This is definitely different.  The octopus slices were tender and did not taste fishy at all.  Make sure to take a bite of the octopus, arugula, capers and orange slices together for a well rounded taste experience. 

 Organic eggs tagliolini with portabello, white wine cream sauce and truffle oil



Veal  cheeks ravioli
 
 Black ink home made spaghetti with seafood marinara sauce

We unwittingly ordered 3 pasta dishes which sent us over the edge of full to stuffed!  Va Bene is generous with their portion sizes and that made me one happy customer.  M and I really loved the Organic Egg Tagliolini (P380).  The pungent truffle oil combined with the cream sauce and portabello mushrooms made for a heavenly first bite.  My sister ordered the Veal Cheeks Ravioli (not in the menu).  This came with 10 pieces of ravioli stuffed with veal ragout, and then coated with a mushroom cream sauce.  The filling was a blend of salty and sweet which made a good foil against the rich sauce.  The only dish that disappointed us was the Black Ink Pasta (P390).  The marinara sauce, while delicious, is too salty.  I felt so thirsty after eating it. I should add that they make their own pasta.  I spied some Italian 00 flour on their counter and I am  bet it makes all the difference in the texture of their pasta.  It was bouncy, firm and toothsome, a big difference from normal dried pasta. 

Delicious! See? No leftovers!


I still need to try the Mixed Mushroom soup and their dessert so I'll definitely be back!



Va Bene Pasta Deli
2nd Floor, Petron Gas Station, Edsa Corner Pasay Road,
Dasmarinas, Makati City

+632 5569442/+63 9173456869

No comments: