Monday, January 30, 2012

Singapore 2012 Food Highlights

My brother-in-law and his wife booked a honeymoon trip to Singapore and the whole family decided to join them. haha  We were all so excited because this will be the first time for the whole family (including my sister-in-law and her husband) to go out of the country together.  Too bad E's youngest brother couldn't join us because of school.  

It was certainly a sight to see our group of 11 checking in the airport and commuting.  We stayed at the Fraser Suites.  It is a service apartment which makes staying there with the babies very convenient.  They have a functional kitchen, a dining room and living room.  We were able to cook for the babies' meals and prepare our midnight snacks.  Having a living room also provided a great place to bond a play Monopoly Deal, our current obsession. 



***

One thing everyone agreed on is to eat our first dinner at Boon Tong Kee on River Valley Road.  They have the best Hainanese chicken...super moist, tender and full of flavor while their chicken rice is packed full of chicken essence.  I wanted to take home some for my family on our way home to the Philippines but they were closed for the Chinese New Year holidays.  Boo. 








Boon Tong Kee
425 River Valley Road, Singapore
***

The newlyweds plus some other people went to Universal Studios while Dad, Mommy, E and I went to the aquarium to keep the babies busy.  We met up after at the Resorts World Malaysian Food Street for afternoon snacks.  I had super spicy, umami-licious Penang Hokkien prawn mee.  The broth tasted of shrimp essence and it had a nice kick at the end.  I washed down the spicy noodles with my favorite barley drink.  Dad also ordered Huen Kee claypot chicken rice to share.  It would have been tasty if not for the overpowering burnt flavor.  Must've cooked it too long.

 via

 

Malaysian Food Street
Resorts World (in front of Universal Studios), Singapore
***

We had lunch at the Ion Orchard food court the next day.  The standout dish for me was this Indonesian grille chicken that was marinated in coconut milk and then basted with a sticky, sweet, caramelized sauce that was sooooo good!  To make it even better, steamed rice is then bathed with a fragrant coconut curry sauce.  I am drooling just thinking about this.  I forgot to take a picture of the stall.. dum dum that I am. (I researched and found out that the dish is called ayam paggang.  The stall if Riverside Indonesian BBQ.)


Riverside Indonesian BBQ 
Food Opera, Ion Orchard
Singapore
***

My sister-in-law Sha is a huge ramen fan.  She lives in Vancouver (where there is a huge Asian food scene) and has made it a hobby to try out all the ramen bars that have popped up.  When Ippudo was recommended by a family friend as a must eat, we immediately put it on our Singapore must try.  I got to try their house special Akamaru Kasaneaji, which is their original tonkotsu pork broth with miso paste and garlic oil but I got jealous of my brother-in-law's bowl of Karaka-men (spicy miso) because of the flavored soft boiled egg included in his bowl.  Little J loved the ramen and almost finished the bowl he and his daddy shared.  Verdict from Sha, the ramen expert:  It's good but I've had better.


Ippudo
333 Mandarin Gallery, Orchard Road
Singapore
***

What would a trip to Singapore be without a meal at an authentic hawker center.  Zion Road Food Centre is located just a bit left of the Great World City Mall.  Availing of our hotel's free shuttle service, we took the 5 minute trip to the mall and walked over to Zion.  The first stall to the right is a famous char kway teow stall...You can't miss it because of the perpetually long line in front of it.  Another stall with a super long queue is for Kway Chap.  Literally translated to noodles and intestines (innards?).  Only two people man the seemingly never-ending line.  My favorite dish for the night was the crispy, eggy carrot cake.  It wasn't my order but I finished it off in no time. hehe 
 





Zion Road Food Center
70 Zion Road, Singapore
***

Singapore is such a great place to eat.  I'm sure I'll be back again to try more of its gastronomic offerings. :)

No comments: