Monday, October 3, 2011

The Housewife Chronicles: Kani and Broccoli Kimbap

My friends and I plan to cook Korean food on Friday.  I had all the basic ingredients around so I decided to get my hands dirty and practice making kimbap (Korean sushi).  

You'll need Japanese rice seasoned with vinegar, mirin, sugar and salt.  I sprinkled sesame seeds on my rice just because I like the taste.  You'll also need some nori sheets, kani sticks, mayonnaise and gochujang (Korean chili paste).  I also blanched some broccoli leaves for added flavor.  


I tried making the kimbap in two different ways. The first one with the nori sheet outside, placing the rice on top and the gochujang, mayonnaise, kani and veg in the middle of the rice. 
 

Fun part! Rolling the kimbap!

Second way you can roll the kimbap is by spreading the rice on the mat and then placing the nori on top along with the fillings.  An easy and neat way to roll the rice is to wrap cling film on the mat before spreading the rice.  Also wet your hands with some water to prevent the rice from sticking to your fingers. 



Yey!  Two perfect rolls ready for cutting.  

Remember to use a sharp knife as not to crush the roll.  Also wipe the knife with some water to stop the rice from sticking on the knife.  You can also roll the roll a little after each cut so you don't end up with a round top and a flat bottom.

See? One perfect kimbap slice :)
 

Mashishoyo! 

No comments: