Saturday, October 8, 2011

The Housewife Chronicles: Strawberry Cream Cake

I had a mission.  

I wanted cake.  A cake filled with strawberries and cream, cool from the refrigerator and meltingly light in the mouth. But I was tired and the baby was sick so a compromise had to be made.  I cheated and made a simple sponge cake instead of chiffon.  I had just one box of cream left and decided that the cake could do with just cream in the middle and on top. 

It was wiped out at dinner.  So I guess it's ok? :)

Strawberries for the filling.  I boiled 500 grams of frozen strawberries, some sugar, lemon juice and lemon peel to make homemade jam.  

 

Bake one 8 inch sponge cake and let cool before placing the filling.  

  

Love the afternoon sun.  I wish I could cook in the daylight more often.  (Better pictures hehe)

Slice the cake in half and soak thoroughly with the strawberries.  Top with whipped cream and place the other cake half on top.  Spread with cream and top generously with strawberry mixture.  The cake is best assembled a few hours before serving so the cake soaks up all the strawberry juice.  

 

I also made Korean fried chicken.  Sinful but worth the effort of deep frying! 

Have a happy, yummy weekend ahead! 

No comments: